Surfing

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Being the only female in my family, I am determined that I will not be the one who gets left at home when the boys are out playing. As a result, I have to put myself out there, because the boys like adventure and I want to be part of it. So at the ripe old age of 44 I committed to learn to surf. 


Knowing I was out of my league I contacted a friend, Caroline Wallace of Brownell Travel.  Thanks to Caroline the only hard part of our trip was the surfing. She steered us in the right direction and took care of every detail. Most importantly, she introduced us to Henry Aguilera who owns Dominical Surf Adventures. Henry, our surf guide, was awesome; he not only taught us to surf, but he shared so much with us about the Costa Rican culture.




Henry’s business philosophy and passion for his venture are ones that I hope to emulate. While sharing his country and talents with tourists he also employs many young men from his community who need his mentoring. He trains these men as guides while encouraging them to continue their education. His commitment and respect to the natural resources of Costa Rica have given him much joy and he wants his clients to enjoy them as well. Henry truly inspired me.



Since returning home, I have been working on concrete objectives for BSQO for 2010 to further increase my commitment to our community and will find ways for BSQO protect and encourage the use of our outdoor resources. I will keep you posted.

Our surf adventure will be a highlight for me for years to come. I can’t wait for warmer weather and more surf opportunities.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin