Snow, Snow and More Snow

Tuesday, January 26, 2010


As you know from an earlier blog, Garth and I spent two days at OR in Salt Lake City speaking with great outdoor brands and checking out what’s new for 2010. As expected, we are excited about the cool, new stuff from our favorite brands and we found some great new brands as well. As a matter of fact, you will see some new items in time for Father’s Day.

Saturday we hit the slopes and have had three days of unbelievable skiing, thanks to the generous snow gods. Over eighty inches of snow in 6 days to be exact. Check out the picture of the car pulling out of the Solitude parking lot for a little perspective of the snow fall. I decided to throw in the landscape shot as well. Usually my scenic shots aren’t so great, but I really like this one taken from the “High T” at Alta.



As we skied, naturally we checked out what folks were wearing. There has been no shortage of Arc’teryx, Cloudveil and Patagonia. It is great to know that Black Squirrel’s picks are also on some of the best slopes in the US.

The single most popular piece of gear at OR (and also spotted at the resorts) was the Patagonia Down Sweater. Just for grins, we started counting the “Down Sweater spottings,” but quickly lost track. When meeting with our Patagonia rep, we learned that the Down Sweater was one of their top sellers and they have been sold out since October. Fortunately for you, I have a few left in inventory. If you want to get in on the action, and are reading this blog, call, email or come see me and I will give you my “snow” discount.

See you soon!

2 comments:

Cathie Arquilla said...

I'm in need of some new ski gear, what does it look like? I'm still in my bright orange Montclair jacket, but it is shiny, so what is old is new! Saw Nina Garcia skiing Stratton Mt. over MLK weekend. She was in matt silver, very cool.

Anne, Pelham, New York said...

Cathie,
For women, there are two schools of thought for ski gear: 1- high fashion from brands like Montcler and Bogner; 2- outdoor fashion from brands, such as the ones found at Black Squirrel - Arc'teryx, Cloudveil, Nau and Patagonia. I am a fan of the later camp and find that very few true skiers are wearing the high fashion gear. My ski gear preference is gortex ski pants that fit on the hips like a pair of jeans and a contrasting jacket in a color that looks good on the skier. Never go head to toe in one brand or color and don't be afraid to wear white ski pants! I suggest saving the "down" and belted look for apres ski, and sidewalk style. Don't get me wrong the "sheen" is in, so your orange jacket is stylish, but better on the streets.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin