Comfort Zones

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Years ago, while working in the marketing department at Vail Resorts, one of the “facts” I learned was that most families like to ski the same resort, year after year. It makes sense, right? We all like to be in our "comfort zone" on vacation and get into our routine. It is always nice to know your way around a mountain, whether it is finding fresh snow, knowing where the shortest lines are or visiting the perfect lunch spot.

When I lived in Colorado, my comfort zone was on any mountain that was closest to our home. Since moving to New York, I quickly fell into a comfort zone of skiing in Utah – driven by the fact we had friends there and the OR Winter Show is there. How quickly we became familiar with and loyal to several areas in Utah. It’s an easy direct flight and gets 500" of snow - what could be better?


Fortunately, thanks to family and friends, I just had the wonderful opportunity to visit somewhere new, a place I had always heard great things about, but considered it to be too far away or too much hassle - Big Sky and Moonlight Basin, Montana. Yes, the flight was a bit longer, but I am so glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone and found yet another place to fall in love with. Big Sky is aptly named as the vistas are absolutely stunning, the skiing terrain had more than enough challenges for everyone, and it was a very friendly place. The architecture made me want a truly rustic, yet refined mountain home, and gave me ideas for the new Black Squirrel shop (opening soon). I cannot wait to go back to Montana, be it for more skiing next winter or hiking this summer. It was simply -- just awesome.

With spring finally here (sort of), I am challenging us all to step out of our comfort zones. Whether that means not ordering the same thing from your favorite restaurant’s menu, or trying on something new the next time you are shopping for clothes - we all need to break out of the ordinary. Along the way be sure to listen to the advice of friends. Next time you’re in Black Squirrel, don’t be afraid to test drive board shorts with no liners, or a ribbon d-ring belt. I know a change can do wonders for the psyche!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin